Hi, I love your blog and follow it DAILY... I've always wanted to start a blog of my own..but I am way too chicken to start (I'm at not computer savvy at all). I was wondering how you got started and do you have any tips for me, or are there any helpful tools you used when you started. Thanks so much!How did I start blogging?
I am sure my story is quite similar to some of the others. It all started with one Google search for “petite fashion”. The search has brought me to ExtraPetite's then AlterationsNeeded's. Next thing I know, there is a whole petite community online. These blogs provide me with an overwhelming useful amount of information. The petite blogger community has grown tremendously for the past several months. It took me probably about a month to finally decided to start my own blog and the rest is history. I enjoy blogging as much as interacting with other petite ladies on a regular basis. Continue reading..
Before deciding whether you should start your own blog or not, let’s me point out some of the advantages as well as the disadvantages of blogging. I assumed you’re interested in a fashion blog?
• The relationship with fellow bloggers: I simply enjoy the e-friendship I have with them. They have shown me tremendous support and shout outs. I've learned so much over the course of 7 months I've been part of the petite community.
• Share my interests: It’s a great feeling to be able to share the love for fashion with those who shares the same interests. This blog is a place for me to express my love for fashion and shopping.
• Finding my personal style: My style has slowly changed since I started blogging (for the better). I find most of my inspirations from many stylish bloggers.
• Getting educated: Many of the petite bloggers are very knowledgeable about what they blogged. I’ve learned so much in the past few months about the fit, the style and of course the deals by reading the fashion blogs.
• Time-consuming: Blogging is fun but it's also time-consuming. I spent at least 8 hours per week writing posts, taking pictures, commenting and responding to emails etc. I put a lot of effort into each post and I am sure everyone else does too.
• Blogs influence purchases: It’s hard to resist a purchase when an item looked so good on a fellow blogger. Believe me, they all look fabulous! You just have use your own judgment to determine whether you should make a purchase or not.
If you decide to start your own blog. Follow the 5 simple steps below:
Step 1: Decide on the type of free blogging platform you will use (blogger, typepad, wordpress…). Blogger probably is the most popular one. It’s super easy to use and literary, it takes 10 seconds to sign up.
Step 2: Decide on a blog template that suitable for your readers. You can Google for “free blogger templates”. All you have to do is copy/paste the HTML codes to your template. You can also use the build-in template that Blogger provides.
Step 3: Write up your content and have the pictures taken. This is probably the hardest part of blogging. If you have someone who can take pictures for you, that would be very helpful. Otherwise, you might have to consider getting a tripod and a remote for your camera.
Step 4: Publish your content!
Step 5: Let’s the audience know you have a blog.
Having a background in computer programming, HTML codes become an easy piece for me. I used to code my own website from scratch. Getting familiar with Blogger was super duper easy for me. I suggested you use Flickr for your blog photos instead of Blogger. The quality is 10 times better. Once you’re familiar with the setting, you can make some improvements to your blog such as get your own domain, custom layout, incorporate links to your blog to make a little money (when I say little, I really meant little)
Tips:• Join a fashion forum: I can’t say enough good things about the AlterationsNeeded forum. It is the biggest petite forum online. Click here to join if you haven’t. Being a part of the community, get to know other petite ladies and let’s others know your blog. If your main audience is petites, I am sure you’ll get a great support from us.
• Stay focused: Don’t concentrate too much on how to make your blog bigger and more popular. It’s not about how many followers/comments you get, it’s about how much you enjoy your little blog and the relationship with fellow bloggers. Do not blog for popularity.
I hope I answered all your questions. The most important thing is to set your own rules and enjoy what you’re doing. Please feel free to contact me via email or Twitter if you have any technical questions. If you decided to start your own blog, I’ll be your first follower.